Monday, December 17, 2018

Exodus

Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event. Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power. Here is the tale that swept the world with its fury: the story of an American nurse, an Israeli freedom fighter caught up in a glorious, heartbreaking, triumphant era. Here is Exodus --one of the great best-selling novels of all time.

"Passionate summary of the inhuman treatment of the Jewish people in Europe, of the exodus in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries to Palestine, and of the triumphant founding of the new Israel." -- The New York Times


This book was recommended to me since I enjoy historical fiction.  I found the book enjoyable.  Uris created a great set of characters to tell the Jewish story of the formation of modern Israel.  Other reviewers that I have read have taken great issue with Uris portrayal of these events solely from the Jewish perspective.  Uris, being Jewish, has a far more significant relationship with the Jewish understanding then of an Arab knowledge.  In my reading of this book, the Palestinian Arabs are not portrayed as evil or antagonistic.  In his writing, only the British and outside Palestine Arabs are described as antagonizers.  I am confident that another book could be written from a Palestinian Arab viewpoint of the same events and be as engaging.

I am disgusted that I was not made aware in my history education of the details of the Jewish immigration into Palestine following World War II.  The story makes clear the evil behind the colonial rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment